Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Sandhill Crane in Chichicaxtle!

Sandhill Crane with Wood Storks, 4 October 2011, Chichicaxtle
Yesterday we counted more than 400,000 raptors on migration here in central Veracruz, Mexico. Incredible as that may sound, this is not unusual for this location - in fact, this is an expected number for this count this time of year.

What is unexpected, however, is a Sandhill Crane this far south. I photographed this individual in a flock of Wood Storks yesterday afternoon in Chichicaxtle.
map courtesy of ebird.org, Cornell Lab of Ornithology
As far as I can tell - and I'm looking at this map from eBird - this will be the southernmost record in their dataset after I submit it and after their editor accepts it. I don't know if any other records have been reported this far south, for example in North American Birds.

No comments: