Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Plain-capped Starthroats


















Spurred on by a sighting of a Yellow-bellied Flycatcher outside SalvaNATURA's office yesterday - yet another sign that autumn bird migration has reached El Salvador - I birded the Botanical Garden briefly this morning. I found very little in the way of neotropical migrants, but I did stumble across a couple of Plain-capped Starthroats, which I had never seen in the city before. Later, I searched for city records in the SalvaNATURA database, but found only a 2008 record for the somewhat similar Long-billed Starthroat - at the exact same location. I found none for its Plain-capped cousin.



















Plain-capped Starthroat is not that rare, although I suspect it is quite rare within the city limits of San Salvador.

No comments: